Do you provide any fishing gear?
Licenses and gear are available locally from fishing experts. Crab rings are standard onboard.
- DownRiggers may be rented for some vessels at $15.00 per day.
- Fishing poles may be rented for $25.00 per week.
What about the weather?
One of the great things about cruising the beautiful Pacific Northwest, Canadian Gulf Islands and San Juan Islands is the varied weather conditions throughout the year. It offers something different for everyone, depending upon the time of year you choose.
- Spring and Early Summer – May offers some of the best sailing opportunities of the year. While the winds can be exhilarating in April, we often think of May as our first summer. Temperatures can get into the 70’s, the winds are more reliable and any precipitation is usually short lived. May also offers less crowded anchorages and 25% off summer rates.
- Summer – Late June, July and August are the most popular times, mainly since school is out. While the winds can be lighter during these two months, little rain falls in the islands and temperatures are usually in the 80’s or even 90’s.
- Late Summer and Fall – September and early to mid October are great for cruising, preferred by many local sailors due to the reappearance of more consistent winds, less crowds and the still warm temperatures, often in the 70’s or even 80’s. Precipitation is still infrequent or short lived. By November the winds have strengthened substantially via quick moving fronts which are accompanied by increased precipitation.The staff of BELLHAVEN try to go boating during May, June and September or early October. It’s a little hard to disclose this little known secret, but believe it or not, the temperature can be very pleasant, the winds are definitely better and the islands less crowded. And don’t forget, our charter rates offer even greater value during these times of the year.
What discounts do you offer:
|April 1 – May 15||Spring Season||Save 25% off Prime Rates|
|May 16 – June 5
||Early Summer Season||Save 15% off Prime Rates|
|June 6 – Sept 11||Prime Summer Season||Compare and Save|
|Sept 12 – Sept 25||Late Summer Season||Save 15% off Prime Rates|
|Sept 26 – Oct 31||Fall Season||Save 25% off Prime Rates|
Can we see whales on our cruise?
Lime Kiln Point on San Juan Island is the only National Whale Watching Park in the United States. Since the majority of Orca Whales are seen here during May and June, taking your cruise during this time provides the best chances seeing these incredibly beautiful and graceful mammals. Plan on arriving about a half hour before the incoming tide reaches the Lime Kiln Point Lighthouse, which is when these champions of the Puget Sound will often feed. Please remember that you must not approach these whales within 500 yards, although they will often come nearer to quietly drifting boats. Taking a cruise during the different times of the year can offer some really exciting new possibilities and allow for a varied and pleasing new experience of our great Pacific Northwest. Come see for yourself.
Security Deposit/Personal Liability:
Charterer agrees to pay a non-refundable daily damage deposit which covers major hull damage and third party liability. In addition a one time small fully refundable fee will be charged against minor loss or damage (limited to the refundable fee), to prevent careless docking, loss of fenders, equipment and varied preventable boating mishaps. Fees vary as shown on the rate schedule and are based on the value of the vessel and insurance deductible. The Charterer is then jointly covered with the boat owner and Bellhaven under a minimum of $1,000,000 personal liability coverage in the event of loss or damage to the vessel, her equipment and appurtenances.An insurance option offered to multiweek charterers is a fully refundable damage deposit with the addition of a non-refundable $100/week liability insurance coverage. This refundable deposit will vary to the vessel’s value and insurance deductible, if interested please inquire at time of booking. Please note if this insurance is paid for by credit card a 3% processing fee will be added.
Reporting Damage: Charterer is required to report ALL accidents, grounding and injuries to Bellhaven as soon as possible. All costs of incidents NOT reported to Bellhaven in accordance with State of Washingtion WAC 352.70.040, WILL BE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CHARTERER.
Is it possible to board early?
Yes, you may board the evening before you cruise for $200, but advance notice is required to confirm. If circumstances allow, your Safety Meeting and Vessel Checkout can possibly be arranged that afternoon, allowing an early morning start.
What kind of instruction or boat orientation do you do?
At Bellhaven we call them skippers meetings and they are held generally twice Saturday, 10am and 1pm. These briefings orientate you to the local do’s and don’ts, Northwest weather patterns, as well as ‘happy’ and ‘unhappy’ waters. Also your appointed boat check out person will go through the boat systems with you and do a check ride.
Is there help with provisioning for our charter?
There are several groceries stores listed on our “Helpful Phone Number” sheet for those who want to “do it themselves.” If you don’t have the time or would just not have to worry about it there are two options for you: new to our Harbor this year are the Galley Girls at www.galleygirls.net. They can help with prepared meals or meals vacuum sealed – just cook. They can be reached at 360-515-7798. The other nice option is: www.todoforyou.biz. The owner can talk to you about what you would like for your cruise, purchase and deliver it to your boat. She can be reached at 360-224-4225. As of 2017 we have another provisioner in the Harbor. The Salty Life offers quick snacks, beverages – including beer and wine. They can be reached at 360-655-5040 or www.saltylifeprovisioning.com. All the companies are local to Squalicum Harbor.
Is smoking allowed on the charter boats?
Our fleet is designated “No Smoking Please”. Our owners and Bellhaven thank you for your cooperation.
Are pets allowed on the boat?
Please call Bellhaven to discuss the details on pet options.
What is your cancellation policy?
In the unfortunate event your charter boat reservation is cancelled more than 60 days before your charter is to begin, your deposit is returned in full less a $100 service fee. If your reservation is cancelled within 60 days of the beginning date of your charter your deposit will be returned only if the cancelled dates are re-booked, less $100 service fee. We encourage guests to get travel insurance for their trip. insuremytrip.com is an excellent resource.